Wednesday, 29 May 2013

Our First Light Sussex Chicks!

On the 27th May 2013, I returned home from a weekend away, checked the incubator containing 6 Light Sussex and 6 Ixworth eggs.  I found some of the eggs had began to hatch, 21 days since first being placed there!  I rushed them round to the farm and carefully placed them under some broody Marans (6 each).  I could have left them in the incubator and raised them by hand but on this occasion I wanted them to have the real thing!
Welcome Blossom, our first Light Sussex Chick!
I had been preparing separate living quarters, to avoid any confrontation and egg claiming, for two Maran hens which had conveniently become broody, they had been sitting on some fake eggs to keep them interested until they were ready for the real thing.  I hoped to place the eggs under them near to the time of hatching, I nearly left it a bit late!  I was relieved that both took to their cheeping eggs immediately and have sucessfully hatched about 7 eggs between them. I will leave the Ixworth eggs under yet another broody hen for a few more days, but I have a feeling they are not going to hatch. I'm delighted with my gorgeous Light Sussex balls of fluff! I took a bit of a risk letting the hens hatch the eggs as I had read conflicting reports regarding the suitabilty of Marans as mothers but ultimately it is better for the chicks to have a caring hen to look after them.
Another proud Mum!
Proud Mum!

We are now looking forward to hatching our Indian Runner ducks!



Hens in the garden, Eggs in the Kitchen is an essential book for the anyone who has chickens, full of useful advice and information,  even recipes for eggs!  

No comments:

Post a Comment